Thursday 6 October 2016

Evaluation

What have you learnt from completing this task?

Firstly, I have investigated and retained the many conventions for the front cover of a magazine and learnt what they are used for in terms of representing a particular style or genre. Secondly I have learned about the technical terms used to create a meaning for the audience and how to create expectations through the conventions and mise en scene on a college magazine. Thirdly, I have become more experienced on Photoshop as I have learnt through media what tools should be used on the software to make a conventional college magazine front cover, I have some experience on Photoshop but no matter how long you spend using it, there is always something new to learn, like the stroke tool that I have used on the feature stories on my front cover. I am very confident that the skills I have learnt have been beneficial and will enable me to create a more developed style for my next project.

How have you used technology?

I used my own technology Sony a6000 camera to take the photographs for the front cover allowing me to produce the camera angles and quality required.  I felt that this technology provided more scope than a phone camera. I also used the computers and software available at college to edit the front cover using Photoshop and sourcing google images.  The mock up front cover is a digital draft which itself illustrates the use of technology.

What conventions have you used and why?

  • Mast head - this was used to create the full width title for my magazine front cover across the to of the page. 
  • Main image - I decided on a main image of a student that conveyed the genre of the magazine and framed it to suit the convention.
  • Main feature story - this relates to the main image on the cover and is in a bold font to indicate it importance and to draw attention from the audience.
  • Sub Feature stories - I made reference to features inside the magazine with snappy/catchy titles to spark interest and engage the reader and persuade them to purchase/read a copy.
  • Barcode and price - used as a reference for the purchaser and data for the retailer at the bottom right corner in a horizontal format.
  • Issue number and date - used to keep people up to date with the releases of the college magazine
  • Colour - this relates to the genre of the magazine as colours are subliminal in terms of message.  I chose blue, yellow and white as the colour scheme as they create a positive feel and are often used in this genre.  They also compliment the main image.
  • Font type - I used three different font types on the front cover to show significance on the page.
  • Secondary image - The image that usually relates to a feature story on the front cover.

What would you change if you were to  do this task again?

Feedback during the task made me review the orientation of the barcode which I changed to be horizontal and agreed this was more appropriate for this cover. On reviewing the final piece I would change the framing of the main image by using a medium shot more in line with the waist and this would bring the image forward on the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment